Dental fillings are provided to fill cavities and restore decayed teeth. Fillings are durable that let the teeth to chew and grind, just like original teeth. But at times, these fillings can come loose.
How does a filling get damaged?
• Tooth decay due to a poor oral regimen
• Face trauma
• Teeth grinding or clenching
• Allergic reaction to filling material (like mercury, amalgam, silver)
• Chewing and biting crunchy or hard foods
If you feel like your dental filling is loose or feel uneasy while biting, don’t ignore it. A loose, broken, or fallen out filling is a major issue that calls for a dentist’s attention.
How to deal with a Loose Filling?
1. Ease the sensitivity – Movement of the filling may turn the site to become sore, sensitive, or irritated. Washing your mouth with the warm salt solution can give you temporary relief. You can even apply clove oil as a remedy. You can also apply an ice pack to numb the tooth.
2. Do not panic –Always remain calm whenever you face any dental trouble. Generally, fillings can be reapplied immediately. But you should not wait too long to visit your dentist to make sure your teeth stay healthy.
3. Keep your mouth clean –When the filling becomes loose, the tooth cavity is revealed. Therefore, it is highly important to keep your mouth clean. Try to chew from the opposite side of the mouth. Brush properly and don’t forget to wash your mouth after every meal. Also, gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash.
4. Call the dentist –If you find any signs that detect a loose filling, you should immediately call the Dentist in Charlotte, NC. Keep the filling so the dentist can decide if it can be used or be replaced. The dentist will study the portion around the tooth and cavity fillings. It’s to ensure that there has been no growth of bacteria and the infection hasn’t extended till the nerves of the teeth. The dentist might have to prepare the tooth before a fresh filling can be applied. If left untreated, the condition might become more serious and require a root canal.
How to prevent a filling from coming loose?
Always remember that dental fillings are not permanent. They naturally stay between 2 and 10 years. A person can improve the structural integrity and durability of their filling by taking a few precautions:
• Visit a reputable and skilled dentist who will apply a filling in a way that will last long. You can always visit us at Promenade Center For Dentistry, as we have the best dentists
• Avoid biting down and chewing on hard things that could spoil the filling
• Implement proper oral practices
• Visit your dentist regularly to examine the health of the fillings
• Consider a dental onlay or a crown which is far more durable procedure for restoring the tooth
Of course, your dentist will recommend the best treatment plan for you! Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in NC, then surely reach us at Promenade Center For Dentistry to receive composite fillings.